Collection of Articles and Links
|With minor updates,
as seen on the August 2002 edition of Liberty for All
WHY LIBERTARIANS SHOULD EMPHASIZE SECESSION AND COMMUNITY AUTONOMY
In August, 2002, Walter Williams wrote an article “Parting
Company” reminding Americans that those who founded the United
made it clear that “every power not granted thereby [the Constitution]
remains with them and at their will." Williams noted that “Congress has
exceeded its delegated powers. And, yes, states have a right to take
(resume) powers delegated to the federal government – in a word the
to secede from the Union.”
INCREASES PUBLIC CONFIDENCE: Libertarians differ over whether the
States federal government would – or should – survive true
However, whatever their position, they should be able to agree on the
of promoting community autonomy – a vision of individuals' rights to
voluntary, private, contractual communities largely or totally free of
SECESSION IS THE
MOST BASIC POLITICAL RIGHT: The Libertarian
Party platform explicitly mentioned Secession until 2006. It now recognizes the right of the people to alter or to abolish government; hopefully in future years the explicit right to se.
3. SECESSION CUTS THE “GORDIAN KNOT”: It could take hundreds of years of immense organizational and political effort to untangle the mass of taxes, laws and regulations governments at all levels have accumulated. Secession cuts through that tangle as sharply as a knife through a knot. You don’t need a majority to create a successful freedom movement, only a determined minority that compellingly and persistently asserts its right to be free on its own private property and in its own voluntary communities.
TALKED SECESSION DURING THE 2000 VOTING DEBACLE: During the six
that the 2000 Presidential election remained contested, Republicans
the prospect of Al Gore “stealing” the election from George Bush openly
talked of secession. A New York Times reporter writing on this
impulse agreed:” It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the
race was about a cultural divide in American life.” Walter Williams
“Irreconcilability faces us today. There's one group of Americans who
not wish to bother anyone but wishes to be left alone. (More
quotes below.) Another group of Americans wants to plunder and
the lives of others. This latter group of Americans shows no sign of
up, much less retreating. A return to rule of law and constitutional
or separation are the only peaceful solutions.”
5. THE LIBERTARIAN MOVEMENT CAN BECOME THE MODEL FOR INDEPENDENCE MOVEMENTS WORLDWIDE: In a world where 189 nation states have conquered and gobbled up 5,000 ethnic, linguistic and racial groups, it is not surprising there are hundreds of self-determination and secession movements. These are the cause of most conflicts within and among nations today. American libertarians can lead these movements by creating a model of peaceful independence movements that respect human rights and liberty. Let’s start by convincing “decentralist” Green parties worldwide to put secession in their platforms.
6. LIBERTARIANS ARE ALREADY ORGANIZING AUTONOMY/SECESSION MOVEMENTS: Like the Libertarian Party, the aforementioned Free State Project has not settled on secession as its ultimate goal, but includes many secessionists. The International Society for Individual Liberty and the Libertarian International Organization promote Swiss-style confederations of cantons and communities which recognize the right to secession. Lew Rockwell.Com repeatedly posts articles on secession. FreeMarket.Net features a secession page. Ad there is my own site, Secession.net There are a host of libertarian, free community, free country e-mail lists, web pages and projects like New Utopia, Freedom Ship and the Atlantis Project.
MUST BE NON-VIOLENT: When you tell supporters of the American federal
that you believe in secession they often will answer: that will never
again, the civil war settled that. They assume that secession
include threatened or actual violence and that the United States
with a military as great as that of all nations on earth combined, will
squash that violence with greater military force. And, of course, they
are quite right.
Commentary on: Libertarian Party
LP NATIONAL CONVENTION RELATED
*BOOT ROOT and His Elitist Cabal
*Libertarians for Peace press release
*Libertarian Spring: Revolution in the LP blog entry
(Most of elitist cabal booted from leadership; links to details)
Gary Johnson for President - Judge Jim Gray for Vice President
Blog entry on Wayne Root: "Shut up and take Jewish Voter$ Money"
CarolMooreReport blog entries on LP Convention 2008 and Bob Barr/Wayne Root Ticket:
* Will Third Party Raiders Take Over Libertarian Party?
* LP: Making Lemonade with Two Lemons
* Bob Barr's Snubgate - see the links
* LP Radical Caucus - Then (1979) and Now
Carol's 2004 LibertyforAll.Net article "Is Applying Libertarian Principles to Israel Anti-Semitic?"
Carol's Convention 2002 Photos
Carol Moore 4 LNC Secretary 2002
Alternate Libertarian Strategies (Moore 2002)
Libertarian Party of D.C. photos when I was chair
Carol's Convention 1998 photos/report, including run for LNC Secretary
More photos to come as I scan them in (1987, 1993 and 1996 conventions)
Carol (at right) in 1980 with LP Presidential Candidate Ed Clark
and VP Candidate David Koch.